These ewers date from the pioneering years of Matthew Boulton's career as a silversmith and entrepreneur, when he was experimenting with the neo-Classical style.
Pair of Ewers by Boulton & Fothergill, 1776
© Temple Newsam House
- Height: 38 cm
- Art Fund grant:
- £40,000 ( Total: £95,000)
- Acquired in:
- Christopher Hartop
For a short period he employed the avant garde architect James Wyatt to provide him with designs for all kinds of silver objects and the form and ornament of these ewers correspond to these sources. The ewers relate to several other masterpieces of neo-Classicism at Temple Newsam and have a coolly understated sophistication which marks them out as objects of the highest quality.
Philips, 1980; private collection, Australia; Christopher Hartop. The work has been vetted by the Art Loss Register.
Free with National Art Pass (standard entry is £5)
3 Nov 2015 – 12 Feb 2016
Pre-booked visits and tours only (see website to book)
13 Feb – 30 Oct
Tue – Sun
10.30 am – 5pm (last admission 4.15pm)