This cup displays the Johnson family coat of arms which can also be found in a stained glass window at Ayscoughfee Hall.
Cup & cover by Pierre Platel, 1712
- Silver gilt
- Height: 30.5 cm
- Art Fund grant:
- £17,000 ( Total: £19,500)
- Acquired in:
- Lyon & Turnbull
The Johnson family lived at the Hall from 1683 to 1851 and sold it to the people of Spalding in 1902. This is the first work associated with the family to enter the museum's collection. T.F. Johnson, who purchased the cup, was born at the Hall and was Lincolnshires High Sheriff in 1847 and Lincolnshires Deputy Lieutenant and a Justice of the Peace. The coat of arms shows the number of families to which the Johnsons were related, and is indicative of their significance locally and regionally, and the connections that they enjoyed. Although the Art Fund originally offered a 100% grant, Goldsmith's Company contributed £2,500 towards the total cost through the Art Fund.
Christies, 1999; SJ Shrubsole; Lyon & Turnbull, 2008.