Art Fund Prize 2012 shortlist announced
- 14 May 2012
The shortlist has been announced for the tenth year of the Art Fund Prize. A Victorian gallery, an acclaimed new building, a local museum and a national institution are in the running to claim the £100,000 prize and be named Museum of the Year.
The shortlisted museums and galleries are:
- The Hepworth Wakefield, West Yorkshire
- Royal Albert Memorial Museum and Art Gallery, Exeter
- The Scottish National Portrait Gallery, Edinburgh
- Watts Gallery, Guildford
Stephen Deuchar, Director of the Art Fund, said, "Taken together, these four terrific institutions offer the perfect snapshot of the best of our museums and galleries - dynamic, forward'thinking, inclusive and diverse. The Art Fund Prize judges have an extremely difficult decision ahead of them to select a winner.”
The five projects shortlisted for the Clore Award for Museum Learning 2012 have also been announced. The initiatives in contention for the £10,000 award are:
- Camden Arts Centre, Get The Message
- Florence Nightingale Museum, Our Generation's Re-interpretation
- Leicestershire County Council Heritage and Arts Service, Held in the Hand and Touch Tables
- The Whitworth Art Gallery, The Manchester Early Years Partnership
- Yorkshire Museum, Celebrating Severus
The winners of the Art Fund Prize and Clore Award will be announced on 19 June at the British Museum and live on BBC Radio 4 Front Row. Read more about the Art Fund Prize.