Michael Portillo to visit Hertford Museum with fellow Art Fund Prize judges
- 14 February 2011
This Friday, 18 February, Michael Portillo and fellow Art Fund Prize judges will visit Hertford Museum, one of the ten museums in the running for the much-coveted £100,000 Art Fund Prize.
The Art Fund Prize 2011 rewards excellence and innovation in museums and galleries across the UK for a project completed or undertaken in 2010. Hertford Museum has been long listed for the Hertford Museum Development Project.
On Friday, Michael Portillo and fellow judges will be given a tour around the museum by Helen Giles, Curator.
Helen Giles said: “We are really looking forward to the Art Fund Prize judges visiting Hertford Museum this Friday so that we can showcase our Museum and what we offer to the people of Hertford and beyond. It will be a great opportunity for them to see the working museum but also a chance to get a sneaky peek behind the scenes.”
The Art Fund Prize long list was announced on 2 February. The other institutions long listed for the Art Fund Prize 2011 are:
- British Museum, London, A History of the World
- Leighton House, London, Closer To Home: The Restoration and Reopening of Leighton House Museum
- Mostyn, Llandudno, Wales, Refurbishment and extension of Mostyn gallery
- People's History Museum, Manchester, The new People's History Museum 2010
- Polar Museum, University of Cambridge, Promoting Britain's Polar Heritage
- The new Robert Burns Birthplace Museum, Alloway, Scotland
- Roman Baths Museum, Bath, Roman Baths Development
- V&A, London, Ceramics Study Galleries
- Yorkshire Museum, York, Letting in the Light - Revitalising the Yorkshire Museum for the 21st century
Between now and May, each museum will be visited by the judges before they meet to decide on a short list, which will be announced on 19 May. The winner will be announced on 15 June.
Find out more about the Prize, vote and have your say on the long listed museums, and enter a competition to win an iPad.