Apply to join the first youth panel at The Royal Albert Memorial Museum & Art Gallery
Do you want to help shape the upcoming programme of events and exhibitions and engage younger audiences at an award-winning museum?
About The Royal Albert Memorial Museum & Art Gallery
Housed in a magnificent Victorian building in Exeter, The Royal Albert Memorial Museum & Art Gallery (RAMM) has a diverse collection of objects and specimens from across the world that reveal Devon and Exeter’s rich history and global connections. Exotic animals, birds and insects form fascinating displays of antiquities, ethnography, natural history and decorative and fine arts.
In 2012, RAMM won Art Fund Museum of the Year for its multi-million-pound development project, which reinterpreted the museum's collection with cutting-edge curation.
About the role
RAMM are currently looking to recruit up to 12 students (aged 18-25) to join its first ever youth panel. The Youth Panel will meet once a month in the first instance (on a Wednesday afternoon) and aims to develop a youth voice across all aspects of RAMM’s work. As part of this experience youth panel members will be given the opportunity to carry out the following:
- Plan, organise and implement two youth focused events during the 12-month period.
- Develop a social media campaign aimed at getting young people interested in what’s going on in the museum.
- Review the RAMM ‘visitor experience’ from the point of view of a young person.
- Act as a critical friend, helping RAMM to improve its engagement with young people across the region and beyond.
- Take part in a range of training opportunities within the museum such as visitor interaction, object handling and exhibition briefings.
- Produce a trail around the museum on a theme decided by the youth panel.
- Assist in the planning of one of the new exhibitions proposed for the museum.
- Plan and deliver a recruitment strategy to encourage new youth panel members to join (in an unpaid capacity) in order to ensure the youth panel is sustainable after the initial first funded 12-month period.
RAMM will pay youth panel members for one day each month. This will be the minimum time requirement but if you enjoy it you may wish to commit more time – this will be entirely up to you.
Role Duration: The initial funding for RAMM’s youth panel is for a 12-month period but you could be a member of the panel for up to two years.
Salary: RAMM’s youth panel members will be paid at a rate of £7.70 per hour for one day a month. However, the maximum payment from RAMM for each panel member over the 12-month period will be £668.98. Youth panel members may want to put more time in than the minimum one day a month but an extra time commitment will be unpaid.
Interested? Apply by 7 October
RAMM are looking for applicants who are
- Aged between 18-25
- A full-time university student in the UK
- Passionate about arts, culture and heritage
- Reliable and committed to dedicating at least one day a month to supporting RAMM in its aim to engage more young people
- Enthusiastic about learning new skills and having new experiences
- Digitally literate
- Enjoys working as part of a team