Student writing competition
Do you want to develop and showcase your talent as a writer and explore amazing cultural venues? Enter our competition for a chance to receive training, get paid, and get published.
Win our student writing competition and you'll receive one of six places on a London half-day training workshop (travel expenses included), led by our magazine and online editorial team, on writing great reviews, and a £100 fee to see more art and write a professional review for our website.
If you’re selected as the best of our six winners, you’ll be paid an additional £100 to write a further review for publication in Art Fund’s Art Quarterly magazine, which is read by over 100,000 people – so you’ll be published online and in print.
For your chance to win, write and submit a 200-word review on an exhibition you’ve seen with your Student Art Pass, which has inspired you.
Deadline: midnight on Monday 30 April 2018.
- 200-word review on an exhibition you’ve seen with your Student Art Pass, which has inspired you.
- Confirmation you can attend the half-day training workshop from 10.30-13.30 on Monday 18 June 2018 in King's Cross, London.
- We’ll provide a breakfast buffet so you don’t start on an empty stomach.
- Confirmation that after attending the half-day training workshop you agree to write a review for publication on artfund.org, for a fee of £100, and, if selected as the best of the six winners, you will be commissioned to write a review for publication in Art Quarterly magazine, for an additional fee of £100.
- Entry deadline: midnight on Monday 30 April 2018.
Please title your review with the exhibition/collection name and venue, for example:
- Andreas Gursky, Hayward Gallery
- Charles Dickens Museum, permanent collection
Within your review you should:
1. Identify what you are reviewing, for example:
- a solo exhibition by…
- a group show on the subject of…
- an historic collection of…
- a temporary display about…
2. Set the scene visually, for example:
- an enormous light-filled gallery packed with …
- room after room containing cases of …
- an atmospheric installation including…
3. Describe what you personally found inspiring about it, and why.
4. Communicate to other Art Fund members why they should use their Art Pass to see this particular exhibition/collection/display, rather than visit somewhere else.
5. Include your name at the end.
Enter to win
To enter, please complete the application form at https://artfund.typeform.com/to/bgnqqF
Good to know
- Only Student Art Pass members carrying a valid Student Art Pass may apply.
- To qualify, your review must be written in your own words about an exhibition or a permanent collection in a venue where you have used your Student Art Pass.
- You must be available for the half-day training workshop on Monday 18 June 2018 to be eligible to win.
- Travel expenses for attending the half-day training workshop will be covered up to the value of £100 for those residing outside of central London, and up to £12 for those in London.
- The six winners will be notified on 7 June 2018, and the ultimate winner who will write a review for Art Quarterly magazine will be notified on 28 January 2019.
- The six winners’ reviews will be published between July and December 2018, and the ultimate winner’s review will feature in the summer 2019 edition of Art Quarterly magazine.