- 50% off exhibitions with National Art Pass.
- View venue & entry details
Three quarter length portrait.
Horace Walpole, 4th Earl of Orford by Sir Joshua Reynolds, circa 1756 - 1757
© National Portrait Gallery
- Oil on canvas Dimensions: 127 x 102 cm
- Art Fund grant:
- £25,618 ( Total: £170,786; Tax remission)
- Acquired in:
- Trustees of the Bowood Settlement Collection
Walpole wears a brown suit with white shirt and leans on his right elbow. Beside him is a print depicting an ancient marble eagle.
Thought to have been painted for Grosvenor Bedford; thence by descent; bought by 3rd Earl of Lansdowne before the Grosvenor Charles Bedford sale (C, 1861); thence by descent