The Casino at Marino, Dublin by William Ashford

The Casino was built by Sir William Chambers in 1769 in the grounds of the first Earl of Charlemont's villa of Marino at Clontarf on the outskirts of Dublin.

Details

Category:
Topographical
Medium:
Oil on canvas Dimensions: 62 x 96 cm
Art Fund grant:
£350 ( Total: £650)
Acquired in:
1963
Vendor:
Maas Gallery

Chambers had built the Earl's town house in Dublin in 1763. William Ashford was born at Birmingham but worked a great deal in Ireland, where he painted numerous topographical views and landscapes, particularly of the locality around Dublin.

Venue details

Whitworth Art Gallery The University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester Greater Manchester M15 6ER 0161 275 7450 www.manchester.ac.uk/whitworth

Entry details

Free entry to all
Free exhibitions to all

Mon – Sat, 10am – 5pm
Sun, 12 noon – 4pm

Closed 24 Dec – 2 Jan, 29 Mar

Please note: The Whitworth is now closed for refurbishment. It will reopen in February 2015.

Share this article