The Polar Museum

The Polar Museum in Cambridge has recently undergone a major transformation, winning it a place on this year's Art Fund Prize short list.

After decades of being known as a specialist collection, the new museum reopened in 2010 to great acclaim.

The £1.75 million overhaul has brought to life the museum's internationally significant collections. New gallery spaces have been designed, capturing the atmosphere of polar landscapes with subtle use of shape, light and colour. The front of the museum, once hidden by shrubs and a tall hedge, has been cleared, revealing the Grade II listed building in all its glory.

The Museum was established principally to preserve the collections relating to Polar exploration and " later " scientific research in the Polar Regions. It is part of Cambridge University's Scott Polar Research Institute (SPRI), established in 1920. The SPRI moved into its present home in 1934. The building is the national memorial to Captain Scott and his companions who died in Antarctica on their return from the South Pole in 1912.

 


Venue details

The Polar Museum Scott Polar Research Institute, University of Cambridge, Lensfield Road, Cambridge Cambridgeshire CB2 1ER +44 (0)1223 336540 www.spri.cam.ac.uk/museum/

Entry details

Free entry to all
Free exhibitions to all

 Tue – Sat, 10am – 4pm

Closed Sun, Mon, Bank Holidays and other public and University holidays. For details check the Polar Museum website.