Temple Newsam House
- West Yorkshire
- | 0113 336 7461
- | www.leeds.gov.uk/templenewsamhouse
- Free entry with National Art Pass.
- View venue & entry details
Justifiably called the 'Hampton Court Palace of the North', Temple Newsam is one of the great English historic country houses.
This fine Tudor-Jacobean mansion, sited on the outskirts of Leeds, lies in 1,500 acres of parkland landscaped by 'Capability' Brown. Its name refers to the Knights Templar, who once owned the lands.
Temple Newsam is famous as the birthplace of Lord Darnley, husband of Mary Queen of Scots, and was owned by the Ingram family for three centuries. It was acquired by the City of Leeds in 1922 and developed as a country house museum. The house has been extensively restored and holds some of the most comprehensive collections of paintings, furniture, silver, ceramics, textiles and wallpapers outside London. In an interview for Radio 4's Front Row in 2004, ex-Culture Minister Mark Fisher placed Temple Newsam House in the top three non-national museums in the country.
The home farm has Europe's largest collection of rare breeds, with over 400 animals. There are six national plant collections and a fine Georgian walled garden. Throughout the year, the grounds provide an ideal setting for open air concerts and fairs.
In 1997 the collections were judged by the Museums and Galleries Commission to be of pre-eminent national importance. Many items collected by the Ingram family that had been sold in the 1920s have been bought back and re-installed. There is a fine assortment of landscapes, portraits, still lifes and genre scenes including work by Reynolds, Pellegrini and Henry Morland. With acquisitions of recent years, the number of paintings hanging in the house is now about 350 – similar to the number listed in the inventory of 1808.
Efforts to regain furniture made for Temple Newsam by James Pascall in 1745 have been largely successful. In addition, the house has been refurnished with high-quality objects originally made for other country houses, including an entire early-Tudor room. Chippendale is well represented, with a library writing table made for Harewood House and items loaned by the Chippendale Society.
The 19th-century passion for exotic oriental decoration is well represented in the Chinese room, and the classical revival of the late 18th century can be seen in gold and silverwork, in ormolu and marble, in sculpture and particularly in furniture.
The house is famous for its collection of historic wallpapers, which spans the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. A notable example is the hand-painted Chinese paper, a gift from the Prince of Wales, donated during a visit in 1806.
Art Funded works
Of the dozens of objects and works of art to have been Art Funded for the house, particularly striking is the Chinese lacquer fall-front secretaire, acquired with a contribution from the Art Fund of £75,000. It was probably made for Isabella Dowager Marchioness of Hartford, who inherited the house in the early 19th century.
Hieronimos Custodis's portrait of Lady Bennet was Art Funded in 2003 with a contribution of £20,000 towards the 35,000 total. Lady Bennet became mother-in-law to Elizabeth Ingram, whose father re-built Temple Newsam from 1622.
The house and estate are owned by Leeds City Council and are open to the public. The house and farm are closed on Mondays (except bank holidays). The farm is open on Mondays during the school holidays.
There is wheelchair access throughout the house and mobility scooters can be provided for outside use (if booked beforehand). Refreshments are available in the tea rooms and can be booked in advance.
Free audio guides for the house are available for adults and children. Throughout the year there is a busy programme of beekeping, craft fairs, a steam fair and outdoor music (including the popular Opera in the Park concert). There are special events during school holidays and seasonal flower displays in the glasshouses.
Dogs are welcome in the park.
Art we've helped buy at Temple Newsam House
Free with National Art Pass (standard entry is £5)
3 Nov 2015 – 12 Feb 2016
Pre-booked visits and tours only (see website to book)
13 Feb – 30 Oct
Tue – Sun
10.30 am – 5pm (last admission 4.15pm)