Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum

Kelvingrove is one of the great civic art institutions. Its 22 galleries house some 8,000 objects, from collections of international significance.


The impressive building, a Spanish Baroque-style palace on the banks of the River Kelvin constructed of Dumfriesshire red sandstone, opened as an art gallery in 1901. It was reopened in July 2006 after a three-year, £28 million major refurbishment and restoration project.

 

Permanent collections

Kelvingrove houses a vast range of collections, from Egyptian antiquities and European art to furniture, textiles, glass, jewellery, ceramics and metalwork. It has outstanding natural history holdings, and a world class collection of arms and armour.

In terms of paintings, it is particularly strong on Old Masters, French Impressionists, the Dutch Renaissance, Scottish Colourists and members of the Glasgow School of Art.

Unmissable highlights include Salvador DalÍ's Christ of St John of the Cross and Sir Roger the Indian elephant, which was brought to Glasgow around 1900 in a travelling menagerie and has become one of the museum's favourite characters.


Art we've helped buy at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum

Venue details

Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum Argyle Street, Glasgow Strathclyde G3 8AG 0141 276 9599 www.glasgowmuseums.com

Entry details

Free entry to all

Reduced price entry to exhibitions with National Art Pass

Mon – Thu and Sat, 10am – 5pm

Fri and Sun, 11 – am – 5pm

Closed 25 – 26 Dec,1 – 2 Jan and from 12.30pm on 31 Dec

Share this article