- 50% off exhibitions with National Art Pass.
- View venue & entry details
A collection of 5 photographs showing the artist alone and naked in a room.
Photographs from the 'Self Deceit' series by Francesca Woodman, 1978
© Francesca Woodman, courtesy George and Betty Woodman
- Vintage gelatin silver print Dimensions: Each: 9.2 x 9.2 cm
- Art Fund grant:
- £26,052 ( Total: £66,291)
- Acquired in:
- Through Marian Goodman Gallery
The only accessory is a mirror which the artist sits beside, stands on, creeps beside and behind and uses to hide her head. These are not self-portraits in the usual sense as we only see Woodman's face in one of them (Self-Deceit 1). The poses and movements are gestures of refusal - refusal to expose the body and the 'self' to the gaze of the camera.