- Free entry with National Art Pass.
- View venue & entry details
The bronze gu is a particularly welcomed gift, as it is one of the few classic Bronze Age vessel shapes not currently represented in the museum's collection (main illustration).
1) Gu Vessel, 2) Jue Vessel by Chinese, 12th–11th century BC
© Photo: Simon Ferguson
- Bronze Dimensions: 1) height: 24 cm, 2) height: 18 cm
- Acquired in:
- Presented by:
- Irene Noel-Baker through The Art Fund
It has an obscured inscription which will hopefully be uncovered during conservation, and potentially this could create a link between this piece and other bronze vessels of the period. The jue vessel features a proto-character near the handle, which could be an invaluable tool to link this vessel with others in collections around the world. Both works are presented by Irene Noel-Baker in memory of Barbro Sonander.
Barbro Sonander, Peking circa 1953-1956; by descent to donor Irene Noel-Baker.